- I am African
- I am White
- I am undeniably connected to Black
- I am light. I am dark
- I am good, I am bad
- I am stormy, I am calm
- I am boring, I might be interesting
- I love the Bush, but I also love the city
- I am temporary, but I am eternal
- I am…
When you’re away from home, what person, thing, or place do you miss the most?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us HOME.
As a pastor, I live in a house that the church provides, on our church terrain. And I am extremely grateful, as it is a house I could never afford to buy….
The one thing I love the most about our house is the Lapa. It is an African word for a place where you relax with your family and friends. In this Lapa we Braai (hold barbeques) and make Potjie (food in a Cast iron pot). When I am home, it is our ritual to relax with family and friends on Friday evenings, with a nice fire going, and some outdoor style food. A lot of South African relaxing revolves around food…
But let me show you some photos of Home:
The Lapa is just above the swimming pool, and in sight is also 3 large avocado trees, they are just a bit lazy in providing Avo’s… in front is a cycad,
Above the fireplace is my old Army helmet…
The start of a Potjie…
Family times in the Lapa- that is what life is all about! This is what I miss when I am away from home!
So there you have it: a part of my home…
Your entire community — however you define that; your hometown, your neighborhood, your family, your colleagues — is guaranteed to read your blog tomorrow. Write the post you’d like them all to see.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us COMMUNITY.
Fear not, dear citizens (in a Pauly Shore voice),
As your newly elected President of South Africa I am so pleased to address you all on this, my new Presidential blog.
3. Neither me, nor any one of my cabinet, need to go to Sweden to see how a country should be run. All travels further than Pretoria will be out of own pocket…
4. There will be no performance bonuses until every citizen has access to clean drinking water, and electricity.
5. All social grants for producing babies will be terminated immediately. All the billions saved in the process will be spent on job creation.
6. Your mere physical attendance at your place of work does not warrant a full salary. People who work hard will earn much, much more than people sitting around in the sun all day.
7. Criminals will be prosecuted by the full might of the law, It will start with zero tolerance to petty crime. And violent people will be taken out of society for ever. No bail for rapists, murderers and any violent behavior whatsoever. This dictator decrees: if you rape or kill, you lose your human rights. You will be shot at dawn.
8. No one in this government shall have access to any blue light brigade status. You obey the laws of the road like any other citizen, as you were elected to serve them.
9. No tax money shall be spent feeding fat cat politicians. All functions will be out of pocket for officials.
10. There will not a cent be spent on Defense till all the children of our country have good schools that can take them to university access anywhere in the world.
11. All politicians shall use the state health care, to ensure all patients gets treated with respect and dignity.
12. All politicians shall have only one spouse, as the Marriage Law of this country states…
13. All ex presidents, including the last one, mr Z, shall only be entitled to a 3 bedroom townhouse in the east of Pretoria on taxpayers money. Nkandla will be repossessed as an amusement park- Disneyworld Africa may apply for a 99 year lease…
14. Any official caught taking a bribe will be shot at dawn.
15. All racial discrimination, against ALL races, will be abolished immediately. No form may ask what your race is, as all of us are part of the Human Race. You buy your own farm, Julius. You get a loan from a bank to start a business like anybody else. You get access to state funded education loans like everybody else. You get to play on a level playing field when applying for a job- the best man or woman gets the job.
16. Our new Sport policy- the best candidates gets picked for the national teams. No exceptions. My new minister of Sport has a job description to see that all the new excellent schools have funds for excellent sporting facilities. Every child of South Africa will have the opportunity to show what is inside them, without anyone ever asking about their race again. Ever. We are South African.
17. Incompetent ministers do not get promoted or get to be ambassadors. They get fired. Or shot at dawn.
19. No grace will be given to criminals who shoot or harm a police officer. They will be shot at dawn.
20. No corrupt police official will be tolerated- they will be judged double so harshly as ordinary citizens. If you are corrupt, you will be shot at dawn twice.
Thank you for reading this excellent piece of African political drivel.
Now keep calm and carry on…
Explain your biggest regret — as though to a small child.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us CHILDLIKE.
My dear child, you only have this one journey through life. So whatever you choose to do, do it fully! Give everything you’ve got! And- remember to laugh every day!
Have you ever been addicted to anything, or worried that you were? Have you ever spent too much time and effort on something that was a distraction from your real goals? Tell us about it.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us ADDICTING.
I think I might be addicted to my blog- 375 posts since February 2013…
Why? Because I am lonely sometimes… 🙂
Sometimes, we all need a break from these little glowing boxes. How do you know when it’s time to unplug? What do you do to make it happen?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us UNPLUGGED.
Every now and then civilization and all the blinking stuff gets too much. There is only one solution for extreme cases of being full of city…
And there, in nature, doing the most basic things in the most basic way, you find yourself again!
And I know- I need a little bit of this soon:
Tell us about a time when everything seemed to be going wrong — and then, suddenly, you knew it would be alright.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us SAFETY.
One Day Cricket is a dangerous game. The less overs there are in a game, the more the balls are going to fly around. And if one should hit you against the head it will feel if everything are going wrong in your life…
So- go prepared- wear your safety equipment. Although we are wearing our national team supporters gear here, this was at a Titans game at Centurion Park, outside Pretoria…
PS. Any particular reason why my stats are falling through the floor- have I lost my Mojo?
You make a new friend. Make them a mix tape (or playlist, for the younger folks) that tells them who you are through song.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us MUSIC.
Describe what it feels like to hear a beautiful piece of music or see a stunning piece of art.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us BEAUTY.
Beauty in the eye of the beholder… hmm- let me think about that one…
We just lost a rugby game against New Zealand, but what a match! it hurts, but well done All Blacks, you are the best (at the moment…) They would call it a stunning piece of art, I suppose… (Like Kieran Reed’s ears… 🙂 )
Anyway, while our hearts were breaking, my daughter had a lot of fun at Sun City…..
Beauty is Africa’s animals. And, like any dad would think- my daughter!
And like Forrest Gump said: That is all I want to say about that…